Search This Blog

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Sewing Review: Butterick B5209

Ok, let's just start off by saying that I LOVE THIS PATTERN.

Butterick B5209 is a fabulously casual pattern from 1947 with 2 variations. Dress A is a haltertop while dress B has a back piece with sleeves.  This review is for dress B only.

Construction: I would say this is pretty beginner friendly. You get to use gathers all over this place which is really fun and forgiving. The top is fully lined, my only issue was closing up 2 of the seams at the very end of the bodice construction. It definitely involved some seam ripping!

The Fit: Um. Amazing. I wouldn't want to alter a thing on this dress. The waist could come in just a bit if I really wanted something fitted but I prefer these casual dresses a bit more relaxed. I love the sleeves! They're so perfect.

Attack of the poodles!
The Fabric: Ok, can we talk about this incredible fabric?!? Green and pink palm leaves...Ughhh I LOVE IT. The print immediately reminded me of some swanky Cuban, Copa Cabana-esque nightclub from the forties, with palm trees everywhere and rich wallpaper. But I digress... it's just a nice light cotton. I used plain white cotton for the lining with the exception of the sleeves (I used the main fabric there).

One thing I want to point out is that you will definitely need all of your suggested fabric here if you want to line your dress with the main fabric. I got away with only 3 yards here, with enough left over to line the sleeves and to make hidden pockets but there really wasn't much to spare.


 Alterations: The only thing I added was hidden pockets. The side zipper meant that they are a bit low, roughly 8" from the waist, but I love having them!

I will absolutely be making many, many more of these. The halter version is adorable too and might be fun for summer. Depending on your fabric choice, you could really change the tone of the look dramatically!

As a side note, I wore this out on my fake birthday with the Hubby (we don't get many days off together so we celebrated about 2 weeks early). We had a lovely time and I found a great vintage shop with wonderful jewelry. Then a delicious dinner on the patio of Martini's, one of our favorites,  in the sunshine.

4 comments:

  1. Lindsay, I really like the style of the dress you made -- especially the cap sleeves. Yes...incredible fabric, and I like green and pink palms as well. This dress is so pretty & Aloha! Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mm, so lovely. I see lots of lovely versions of this dress and yours is very charming and I love those colours so much. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mm, so lovely. I see lots of lovely versions of this dress and yours is very charming and I love those colours so much. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When can I start placing orders pleaseokaybye?

    ReplyDelete