Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

1950's Voodoo Tiki Ball

This past weekend was the 2nd Annual Voodoo Island 1950's Tiki Ball, held in Boulder:


All packed and ready to go... yay tropical prints!



The poodles came along too, here we are in the car.  Pierre looks pretty pathetic with his little nose sticking out but don't be fooled, he is quite spoiled.  One thing that I love about the Denver/Boulder area is the abundance of dog-friendly hotels.

We stayed at the Millenium, the hotel where the event took place.  Our room had a large balcony with table and chairs which was wonderful.  Here is our view of the Flat Irons.
If you looked down, you could see the courtyard and gardens where people were entering the party.  It was really fun to just sit and people watch for a while.  The event started at 4 but people were already streaming in by 3! We also had a view of the Vintage Salon where gals could get their hair and makeup done for the evening.
We strolled down and, of course, I hit up the vendors right away.  Here is a photo of Sarah, a lovely gal and co-owner of The Castaway Trading Co. Brent picked up one of their grenade flasks.

I was also excited to chat with several members of the Denver chapter of the Fraternal Order of Moai.I was fortunate enough to attend some events by the Cincinnati/Dayton chapter and those fellas are always so incredibly welcoming, nice, friendly, and fun!  They had a really wonderful raffle at the end of the night, the winners received all sorts of rums and tiki goodness.  Sadly, I didn't have a winning ticket but the proceeds went to a good cause (animal shelter!!).

There were a number of scheduled events throughout the day.  Around 5:30, Brent and I went to a talk about the history of the Tiki Drink.  Fun and informative: yes, free drink samples: YES!


Later we strolled down to the pool - so sunny, almost like the real tropics!!

Vintage cars were on display throughout the evening.  Brent is especially fond of these old Woodies.

Brent's favorite quote of the evening (about the woodies) "We need one of these when we move to Hawaii"... I like the way he is thinking:)

ELVIS SIGHTING!! By the pool.



As the evening approached, there was a pig roast, hula dancers, fire dancers, lots of live bands, contests, and, of course, tropical drinks.

Grainy photo of the dancers

Even worse photo...
The party went on very late into the evening but I called it quits around midnight.  What fun!  I got up early and enjoyed coffee and some crochet on the balcony.  The photos below were actually taken for my CrochetMe blog, you can learn more about the shawl here.

The hotel had a little restaurant where we both indulged in delicious breakfast then made our way out to the pool:
Poolside crocheting
Brent enjoying the morning

Yay pool!  It was so incredibly relaxing! I'm wearing my favorite Esther Williams bathing suit, it makes me feel just like the Million Dollar Mermaid. I had been itching to swim for ages!

Now that I'm home, I can still be reminded of our fun mini-vacation with a few of the items that I brought home (two of these were actually picked up at the Modernism show last weekend).

The Barbara Willis pink candy dish is probably my favorite find, it's just so fun with the gold trim and the little feet at the bottom.  Very atomic with the boomerang shape.  I picked it up from Vintage Treasures.
 

 

Next up is this amazing Pirate Grenade Flask from Castaway Trading Co.  This was Brent's purchase of the evening!  Check out their shop for lots more pirate themed goodies!

Modernism Find: I just fell in love with this Bobbie Brooks peach sweater at the Modernism expo.  It's in perfect condition and will be great this fall paired with cigarette pants and flats!

My other Modernism find was this absolutely STUNNING Nomotta knitting and crochet pattern booklet.  Every single one of the designs are just fabulous and I want to make them all!  I would love to do a separate post on this to share these looks, but for now feast your eyes on the cover and one of my favorite sweaters.

It's been a dream of a Labor Day weekend!  I feel so refreshed and ready to get back to work - I'm hoping everyone else is feeling the same. 

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful weekend! You and Brent look like you belong at this event.

    Also...Great pictures & so many! Especially like the one with all your tropcial prints displayed.

    Your post makes me feel like I went to the Tiki Ball.:)

    Enjoyed the crochet pics, too!

    ReplyDelete