Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Vacation: Magic Kingdom

 
Hubby was ready and raring to make it to rope drop, we were at the Magic Kingdom gates by 8:30 (park opened at 9) .  This was Hubby's first ever rope drop... he is a saint :)  I was feeling MUCH better than yesterday however I was definitely still nauseous and fighting a headache.

The park wasn't too crowded this day, we waited around, saw the preshow,
then briskly walked (never run!) to grab a fast pass for Space Mountain

I took a second to snap this photo on our way

Then we cut through to Fantasyland where I wanted to ride the new Little Mermaid dark ride, Ariel's Undersea Adventure (or something like that)

Rocks and waterfalls around the queue, which was very well themed.

Undersea shenanigans.  The ride was well done, a new dark ride is a great addition to the park.

On to one of my all time favorites, Peter Pan's Flight.  Classic.  Fantastic. It brings back so many memories every time.  During our June trip, we weren't able to ride this one for a very sad reason.  We had just gotten in line when we found out that one of our little pups was in the hospital!  He recovered just fine but we were quite worried at the time. 

 
So by now it's probably 9:10 or something.  I don't mess around with rope drop.  Onto It's a Small World... classic stylings of Mary Blair.

Love the hula girls
French gals... Oooh La La!!

Ferris wheel in the white room



By this time, other people were flocking to the rides that were starting to get crowded.  There was hardly anyone around the castle!  We definitely took advantage of the views.

On to Space Mountain.  Classic.

Not sure why but I just love that little elevated mechanical walkway as you exit the ride.
I just can't get enough of the views in any of the parks.  Everyone else was just rushing around but there is so much to stop and appreciate.  Do your rushing around at rope drop people!  You can knock out 5 or 6 rides in an hour.


The Plaza Rose Garden is an often overlooked part of the Magic Kingdom.  It is such a lovely pathway or just a nice spot to get away from the crowds.  There wasn't another soul on the entire walkway for the 10 or 15 minutes we were there.

Take time to smell the roses!

eeEEEE, Adventureland!!!

On to Big Thunder Mountain... one of Hubby's favorites :)

The Liberty Bell
Hardly anyone was at Tom Sawyer's Island.  We had fun exploring and discovering little details.

The Old Mill

Construction on Splash Mountain.  Sadly, it was down for refurbishment during our stay.

Back in Adventureland...our Jungle Cruise Skipper was excellent!

elephants on Jungle Cruise

I love me some Tiki Room!

"All the birds sing words and the flowers croon.......

.... in the Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, TIKI ROOM!"

The park was still decked out in all of its Holiday glory.  I especially liked the garland all along Main Street.

How cute!! The Plaza Ice Cream Parlor... unfortunately I was still feeling too sick for
my usual one scoop of cookies and cream

After lunch at Columbia Harbour House and some strolling around, the park was beginning to get more crowded (and hot). We decided to take the Monorail to the Polynesian for a little relaxation....
The back side of a waterfall... walkway near the pool :)
As we started scoping out the beach for a perfect place, we noticed one lone ammock... all on its own, to the far right.  We ran for it... sorry... we "walked briskly in the sand" for it


Paradise.


We could see the Grand Floridian to our left and Magic Kingdom icons to our right.  I was sipping on a Skinny Coconut Mojito.  SO GOOD.  I think Hubby had a Mai Tai.  We lazed around, napped a bit, but mostly just soaked in the perfect atmosphere.  This was truly one of those magical moments that I will never forget.


One last visit to the Poly lobby.
Back to the park!! (via Monorail)
Yep.  I make everyone sit through the Carousel of Progress.  Every time.  Sometimes more than once. 

If I had to choose one place to be stuck for the rest of my life, I would choose the PeopleMover.  I could just sit and ride that thing forever.  The views, the narration, the feel of the air against your face.  It's just amazing. 

Castle at night

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin is a shooting game where you aim at different targets.  Your score shows up as you play.  Ahem.....
My score
Hubby's score... I crushed him


Main Street at night

We monorailed to the Wave for dinner.  It was... meh.  My stomach was still bothering me so I just had a salad.

Ok, back to the park!  We snagged a great spot for the fireworks... you can see Pete the Dragon from the Main Street Electrical Parade to the right :)


Another shot of the castle at night. 

Swiss Family Tree House!
Well I was starting to feel pretty awful by the end of the day so we made our way home around 11:00 or so.... it was a blast but why did I have to be sick?!  Up next is the Animal Kingdom.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day at Magic Kingdom!

    Your post reminds me of my favs at Disney World: It's a Small World, Carousel of Progress, Tiki Room, & the People Mover. I could ride these over and over again, too!

    Also...So nice that Polynesian and Contemporary are close by. Both are such fun for shopping, dining, & relaxing.

    ReplyDelete