Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Baby Sweater plus Vintage Knitting Tips

I wanted to share this darling purple baby sweater that I knit up for my cousin's little one on the way.  Keep on reading for some tips on knitting from vintage patterns!

The pattern was free from Ravelry, the Aran Baby Cardigan
This little cardigan knit up very quickly, I was happy with how it turned out!
The top is bordered with single crochet stitches, it really adds a nice touch.
The yarn I used was an acrylic baby yarn in worsted weight, it had a pretty shine to it and was very soft.

Tips on Vintage Knitting
This pattern is on the older side (1972) and thus required a bit of "decoding".  My love of vintage knitwear has often lead me in search of resources to help translate some of the odd sizing, needle sizes, and discontinued yarns.  Generally this is more of an issue with much older patterns from the 50's or 40's that catch my fancy.

A great place to start exploring the world of vintage knitting is A Stitch in Time by Susan Crawford and Jane Waller.  The book features original patterns from 1920-1949 that have been reworked using modern needle sizes and yarns.  An added bonus is that all patterns are available in several sizes. It is truly a beautiful book, filled with mostly sweaters and cardigans but also a dress and even some undies! 


When looking through this book I like to compare the original pattern with the reinterpreted pattern and work my way through until I understand the changes. 


Once you get the hang of vintage conversions, a fantastic place for free patterns is Free Vintage Knitting.  Besides  patterns, they also have a needle conversion chart and information on discontinued yarns.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your lovley pattern and tips going give it a try

    ReplyDelete