Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Honeymoon Day 1: Hollywood Studios (PICTURE HEAVY)

So after our first rainy evening at the French Quarter, we woke up to a very dreary and stormy day.  I have to admit... even I was feeling down that my trip might be ruined by the rain. I put on a horrendous clear poncho and tried to keep my spirits up. Our plan was to head out to Hollywood Studios in time for rope drop.  With the terrible weather I relaxed a bit and we took our time, eventually getting to the park around 9:15. 
(photo from wdwmemories.com)
Building near the entrance: This park gets a lot of heat for not having enough to do and being poorly laid out but I actually really enjoy it (though it's by no means my favorite park).  There is some great architecture to be found and the atmosphere at night with all the neon can be very fun.  I guess it has a lot of nostalgia for me as well....

One positive of the icky morning was low crowd levels.  After leisurely arriving at 9:15 we went straight to Toy Story Midway Mania and basically just walked through the queue, then hit Rock n' Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror and it was barely 10:30! 
After hitting all of the "big rides" we spent a while walking around One Man's Dream.  They had really expanded this exhibit since my last visit and I could just spend hours in there!  I am continually blown away by all that Walt did, not only for theme parks but for animation as well as advancements in technology.

Model of the aerial view and layout of Peter Pan's Flight.  How fascinating!  This has always been one of my favorite attractions.
This was a GIGANTIC model of the New Fantasyland.  I will be back in Disney for a brief time in January with my family and this should be completed... very anxious to see how it turns out.
At 11:30 we had our Lunch with an Imagineer (see Brent's cool nametag?!).  I plan to do a separate post about this later but here's a sneak preview:
They saw our "Happily Ever After" buttons (that we wore EVERY DAY) and we got a free champagne toast with lunch.


After lunch we stepped outside and the skies had magically cleared to reveal a beautiful day (thanks Walt!).  There were a few quick showers on and off for the rest of the afternoon but it ended up being quite pleasant.

A walk down New York Street (if you look closely, you can see that one of the ankle straps broke off my sandal...)



Muppet 3D Vision!  I was so excited to share this with Brent.  We have spent many an evening watching the Muppet show and various Muppet movies.
Star Tours 2.0 was pretty darn fantastic but I have to admit that I miss the old version.  Maybe it's just nostalgia.  Anyway we rode this about 4 times with hardly any wait at all.  There are different scenarios including pod racing which was quite amazing.  Of course, I made us ride until we got the Death Star sequence :)
I have always had a soft spot for Dinosaur Gertie.  It was closed but I still snapped a photo.
Love, love, LOVE the Tune-In Lounge!  We stopped here to relax and liesurely sip on a drink.
The idea here is that you get your drink from Dad's liquor cabinet (the bar) and enjoy it while sitting in his living room.  The decor is just beyond amazing in here.  It actually inspired me to redo our living room (more on that later).

After riding the Backlot Tour, we took our time looking around the exhibits.  Here is Davy Jones's organ from Pirates of the Carribbean... it was huge!
Brent looking dashing in the Indiana Jones hat.
My favorite carousel horse from Mary Poppins (in the queue of the Great Movie Ride)
Jim Henson's cement block.
Dinner reservations were at the Sci-Fi Dine In.  Say what you will about this place... I LOVE IT.  The food is ok but the atmosphere just can't be beat.

Brent ordered some girly drink and it came with one of the infamous glowing cubes. This is one of my favorite souvenirs!

We weren't very hungry so just split a veggie burger and fries.  They actually had Fess Parker Chardonnay that I was able to enjoy while watching the sci-fi clips and cartoons on the big screen.  Brent and I visited the Fess Parker winery in Cali on the day of our engagement!

After meandering around and seeing a few attractions, we made our way home.  We would be getting up for EPCOT the next morning.
(photo from wdwmemories.com)



3 comments:

  1. Glad this is picture heavy because the Hollywood Studios is my fav park. I always enjoy the neon, art deco, and architecture.

    I really like the Sci-fi Dine-In Resaurant and the Prime-Time Cafe, too! I had forgotten that the Tune-In Lounge was suppose to be a living room.

    Did not know they had updated the One Man's Dream, and I look forward to seeing the new version.

    Thanks for such a delightful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pictures. Looks like you both had a wonderful time. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU HAD LUNCH WITH AN IMAGINEER?!?

    ReplyDelete