The sunshine has been plentiful this week in Cincinnati and I can’t help but look forward to the warm summer months ahead. I have adapted my smoothie with the season and added a tropical twist! It’s much like my banana-berry fruit smoothie with a few changes. Sure it would be ideal to drink a tropical treat in a lush tropical place but it can be just as fun to enjoy one of these smoothies at home for a taste of the islands. Imagine whipping one of these up on a hot and humid afternoon and drinking it out on your favorite lawn chair in the shade. Bring your sunglasses with a good book or a fun magazine and you’re on a little mini-vacation!
Here's the very simple recipe. I can drink one of these by myself but it's somewhat of a meal replacement. You could easily split this with someone else for just a snack. I don't really measure when I add the ingredients so these are just approximations. Feel free to play around with the amounts to make it to your liking!
- 2-3 large ice cubes
- Roughly ½ cup frozen fruit (chunks of mango, pineapple and strawberry)
- 3 tablespoons vanilla yogurt (I prefer low-fat)
- ½ banana (I usually use fresh banana but you can use frozen sliced banana; though you may need to adjust your ice and milk levels)
- Roughly 3/4 cup of milk (I prefer non-fat)
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom for a little kick!
My next smoothie venture will need to involve coconut but it can be tricky. Coconut milk is delicious and thick but also high in fat and calorie content. I have mixed in a bit of dry coconut cream pie pudding mix to a smoothie before and that is good but I prefer healthier options. What have you been enjoying lately?