Search This Blog

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Island in the Sun: Tropical Smoothie

Happy Saturday!  I'm very excited for a special weekend... my wonderful sister has set up a bachelorette party for this evening.  Don't worry, we will keep it classy:)


The sunshine has been plentiful this week in Cincinnati and I can’t help but look forward to the warm summer months ahead.  I have adapted my smoothie with the season and added a tropical twist!  It’s much like my banana-berry fruit smoothie with a few changes.  Sure it would be ideal to drink a tropical treat in a lush tropical place but it can be just as fun to enjoy one of these smoothies at home for a taste of the islands.  Imagine whipping one of these up on a hot and humid afternoon and drinking it out on your favorite lawn chair in the shade.  Bring your sunglasses with a good book or a fun magazine and you’re on a little mini-vacation!



Here's the very simple recipe.  I can drink one of these by myself but it's somewhat of a meal replacement.  You could easily split this with someone else for just a snack.  I don't really measure when I add the ingredients so these are just approximations.  Feel free to play around with the amounts to make it to your liking!
  • 2-3 large ice cubes
  • Roughly ½ cup frozen fruit (chunks of mango, pineapple and strawberry)
  • 3 tablespoons vanilla yogurt (I prefer low-fat)
  • ½ banana (I usually use fresh banana but you can use frozen sliced banana; though you may need to adjust  your ice and milk levels)
  • Roughly 3/4 cup of milk (I prefer non-fat)
  • 1/8 teaspoon cardamom for a little kick!
Blend until smooth; you can adjust the consistency by adding more ice if too watery or more milk if too thick.  Top with your favorite tropical garnish and enjoy!  Now… a shot of rum would not be bad in this either… I’m just saying. 

My next smoothie venture will need to involve coconut but it can be tricky.  Coconut milk is delicious and thick but also high in fat and calorie content.  I have mixed in a bit of dry coconut cream pie pudding mix to a smoothie before and that is good but I prefer healthier options.  What have you been enjoying lately?

3 comments:

  1. Heard the bachelorette party was very classy.

    Smoothies look yummy. We have them often in the summer so we will have to try this version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that the "Coconut Banger's Ball" a la the PPC student cafe??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA... I'm so very glad you remember my speciality.

      Delete