Search This Blog

Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Very Merry Un-Birthday!

I just have to take a moment to share the wonderful birthday gifts that I received this year and a quick bit about my fun evening. Please forgive me for showing off my presents... but my family was just so incredibly thoughtful with what they gave me!


I was surprised by a package last week and excited to find this BEAUTIFUL book from my soon to be parents-in-law. The pictures are stunning and I’ve already spent hours looking through all of the eye-candy. The Vogue covers are in chronological order so it is very neat to see the progression of fashions throughout the century. You will certainly be seeing a few featured blog posts about my favorite covers!! Oh, and the best part… the book comes with 5 hanging quality covers for display.





This is a sketch from Mickey’s Surprise Party (1939). Doesn’t Minnie look adorable? My sister and her boyfriend’s mother, Silvia, picked this up while antiquing in Chicago. The sketch is hanging by my vanity so I can primp myself next to Minnie every morning.   Another birthday treat from these two lovely ladies was brunch at a delicious little place during my visit to Chicago.  Yumm... lemon ginger scone...


My parents ordered me a MUCH needed camel colored cardigan from Land’s End (no picture yet).  Thanks to “the great laundry incident of March 2012” (as I have dubbed it), my favorite tan cardigan was ruined (among other favorite pieces…) by a forgotten black ink pen in the dryer.  After searching desperately for a simple tan cardigan with no luck, I turned to the Cardigan Queen herself, my wonderful mother.  Of course within minutes she had found what I was looking for and was gracious enough to offer it as a birthday present.  It's in the post now but I can't wait for it to arrive, I have found that this color is a great addition to my wardrobe and will be perfect for the summer.




And finally, my magnificent fiancĂ© completely took me by surprise with this: a miniature of The Partners statue found in Disneyland and Disney World (actually it might be in some other parks around the world as well). He gave it to me as a source for inspiration every day to follow my dreams. Words can’t describe how much this meant to me… He also picked up a few of my favorite Disney movies: Bambi, Lady and the Tramp, and the Muppet Show season 1. This, of course, gave us a great excuse to make a nest and settle in for the evening of my birthday with some freshly made popcorn and wine! Thanks to everyone for these meaningful gifts, I am so lucky to have such caring loved ones!


And now a bit about my evening: Before we cozied in for the night, my fiancĂ© and I took a trip downtown for cocktails and appetizers at the Palm Court in the Hilton.  This has become somewhat of a birthday tradition the past few years.  I just adore the lavish art deco style of the restaurant and bar.  There is usually a pianist playing and he always seems to hit my favorites!  Last year I remember him playing Moon River and this year we heard "Let's Get Away From it All" as well as  Elvis's "I Can't Help Falling in Love with You".

 Here is the bar area, we were sitting in that large seashell couch... I couldn't help but feel elegant as I sipped on my Fleuri 75.


I hope everyone is having a nice week, it's been somewhat dreary here in Cincinnati.  I'm looking forward to another quiet weekend of wedding crafts and snuggle time with the dogs!

3 comments:

  1. You did have a super birthday and I enjoyed all the pics of your wonderful gifts! The Palm Court in the Hilton Hotel looks so elegant and what a wonderful place to spend the evening on your special day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I actually just received the camel cardigan and I love it! I see what you mean about the difference from the other cardigans but I actually like the tighter cuffs at the sleeves and waist. Anyway, thank you thank you! And we should take you to Palm Court next time you're in town :)

      Delete
  2. Glad you like the book! Wow! I love Minnie...I've been to a lot of antique places and never came across a pic like that. What a great find and very thoughtful too! Can't wait to see the new cardigan. You will have to model the cardigan for us soon. Your fiance' was very thoughtful this year too. Very nice! Happy Un-Birthday!

    ReplyDelete