Search This Blog

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Foundation Review



After receiving some free samples from make-up counters, I have given a two new products a test over the past week. I ramble on a bit… my overall rating/opinion is underlined if you feel like skipping to that part.

Chanel Vitalumiere (liquid foundation): I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical about Chanel’s foundation as they are not known for their skin care. Also, I feel that with a name like Chanel, they could bottle pond-scum and women would buy it up without question. That being said, I was very pleasantly surprised with this product.

On day one I wore it without primer (only moisturizer underneath) and it blended nicely and easily. It has a slightly thicker consistency and heavier coverage than Diorskin which is what I was looking for. The foundation blended nicely and looked great even around my dry T-zone. The makeup seemed to be staying nicely and then came the real test… my daily walk around the building in the chilly outside air. Usually when I come back I can see my powder or foundation has settled into dry spots around my nose. With Chanel and no primer, this happened only slightly and I felt it was an improvement over my regular Diorskin. On day two I used my regular primer (Bare Escentuals Prime Time) and that seemed to do the trick! There was hardly any fading or settling of the makeup throughout the day. Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua left my skin feeling hydrated and even gave me the “dewy” look that it claims. On day three I swapped my regular primer for Laura Mercier’s primer sample and I didn’t see much of a difference.

Overall Rating 4 out of 5: I have been very impressed with Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua. My skin seems to like it as there were no adverse reactions or break outs. I even used two thin coats around my nose one day and it felt almost too “dewy” which means that the formula is incredibly moisturizing and great for dry skin during the winter months. I do think it is essential to keep your face exfoliated as the Vitalumiere will stick to the little dry skin flakes if they are there. My original foundation, Diorskin Nude might be better for a lighter coverage in the summertime and warmer climates.

Laura Mercier (crème foundation): You can get great coverage and a somewhat airbrushed look that lasts all day with this product but it is very fussy and tricky to apply! This is an incredibly moisturizing foundation that I would only recommend for someone with dry skin issues. On day one I applied with my regular primer and it is pretty difficult to blend. Once blended, it looked great everywhere except my t-zone. My nose looked incredibly cake-y to the point where I used a makeup remover wipe and cleaned off the area entirely. I was in a hurry so I just slapped on bit of moisturizer, let it dry for a minute, then applied a VERY small amount of the foundation again. I used a bit of powder concealer and it looked great. After a few moments it must have sank in because when I checked again it looked flawless! The remainder of the day was spent running lots of errands, trying on clothing, lunch, Bach Fest and returning home about 7 hours later. The makeup had not moved or come off at all, it still looked fresh! My only issue on this day is that something about the shade gave my skin a slight pinkish tint which I wasn’t crazy about.

On day two I tried to apply the foundation very lightly without primer but now it was streaking on my forehead and there was still a bit of the cakey look to my nose. I was in a hurry to meet a friend so I blended the best I could and took off. After returning home a few hours later it looked better but still not great. I removed the makeup on my t-zone and put Diorskin on my forehead and reapplied the Laura Mercier around my nose with just a bit of concealer and it looked great again! I don’t get it! I’m certainly not going to start using makeup remover wipes as a primer!


Overall Rating 3.5 out of 5: You can get a wonderful look that stays and rich moisture from this foundation but it is difficult to get the application done correctly. The sample I received still has lots left so I can continue to experiment. Perhaps this is a foundation that is better suited for a very advanced makeup user? Someone with all the right brushes and techniques and such. I can tell you that it is very moisturizing and didn’t react with my somewhat sensitive skin though! This would be a great option for a special night out when you really want to look great and have time to fuss with the application.

No comments:

Post a Comment