Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Knitted Sweater Ideas

With the snowflakes and temperatures falling, I have the itch to knit myself another sweater. Last winter I made this “Perfect Jumper” (pattern from A Stitch in Time) and was very happy with the results.
Although it turned out to be very comfortable, incredibly cozy, and nicely fitted, I do not wear it as often as I would like. Sadly the jumper has become one of those pieces that I’m somewhat afraid to wear as I don’t want to mess it up. Being wool, it must be hand washed and even with careful attention, I am always afraid the shape will warp.
So what to knit for my next big project? Well I want something versatile, sturdy and comfortable. I’ve been paying attention to my “go to” sweaters this season and found that I gravitate towards button ups that can easily be layered on to any outfit. Strangely enough, my two favorites are a mustard yellow cardigan with black piping (wool) and a nautical blue/red/white button up (cotton). Neither of these seem versatile to me but both have been life savers throughout the cold months.



For the new project I’m gravitating toward a slightly oversized cardigan in a cotton camel yarn that will match everything. Here are my top choices thus far, please let me know what you think (for knitters, click on the picture for a link to the free pattern)!
Women’s Cardigan: This may be my favorite out of the bunch. The moss stitch-esq pattern is simple enough to be versatile and sturdy while still being more fun to knit than a stockinette stitch. I also love the pockets and large buttons. Though the collar looks fun, I can’t really tell what’s going on there and would probably end up tweaking that part a bit.
Lady’s Cardigan: The collar on this is adorable and it also has handy pockets. I would want to lengthen the sleeves to full length but that should not be too difficult. Again, the stitching used is fun and would keep me entertained during the many hours it takes to knit a sweater.

And this little short sleeved piece is too darling; I actually really like the pink! This would look great paired with some jeans and little kitten heels.


As for the yarn, I realize that wool is a knitter’s best friend but I really want to experiment with a sturdy cotton that I could throw in the washer and dryer without worrying. Any knitter's out there have a favorite cotton or blended yarn?
I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend! The fiance and I have been enjoying a few quiet and glorious days around the apartment with the dogs. Lots of walks, knitting, movies and wedding tasks!

4 comments:

  1. All excellent choices! My favorites are the Lady's Cardi & the Blackberry Stitch Cardi. These two are very different so are hard to compare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lady is my favorite. Very versatile, as you said. I love the collar (more than the first one), but I agree that you should lengthen the sleeves. Could you just put the lady collar on the woman sweater?? I don't know how these things work...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't get to the link on the top one, the women's cardigan. Do you have it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Yep, it's free too :) http://www.freevintageknitting.com/sweater-pattern/botany2/cardigan134

      Happy knitting!

      Delete