Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Panda Silk Fan Shawl

For the holidays this year, I really wanted to make as much as possible instead of just purchasing gifts. I have been feverishly knitting away for months to be ready for Christmas! Since everyone has received their gifts by now, I can finally post these fun projects! Because these were relatively large pieces, I am going to post about each one separately. Each gift presented its own challenges and all required me to learn a new skill which was very rewarding.






This shawl was for my Mother-in-law-to-be. I LOVED knitting this pattern and the yarn that I chose was a dream to work with. I used Sublime – Baby Silk and Bamboo DK in cream that I ordered from Jimmy Beans Wool… which, by the way, I HIGHLY recommend for ordering yarn. Their website is so easy to use, the customer service reps are friendly and knowledgeable, and they have great incentives for returning shoppers including money off your next purchase and occasional free shipping. Not to mention, their selection is quite extensive.

But I digress; this project was by far my favorite! The pattern was knitted in the modular fashion which means that you are knitting in little patches. Each “fan” on this shawl was knitted individually and directly onto the adjacent “fans” so no sewing is required. I love this type of knitting for many reasons. First of all, it makes the piece very secure, secondly it is so easy to set a pace for yourself (2 fans each night, etc).




I am so happy with the way this turned out. My gauge was a bit smaller than the pattern (though I’m not even sure they specify the exact gauge now that I think about it) so I opted for the additional row on top. The yarn drapes so nicely over the shoulders for an elegant look. This was also a relatively quick project and I am thinking about possibly knitting one up for myself in a camel color.

Pattern notes: This pattern was pretty easy to follow, the explanation of the border was a bit strange but will make sense once you are working on that section. This would be a great project to take on a trip because it’s easily portable and you will memorize the pattern very quickly so no need to take along instructions.

1 comment:

  1. Love it, love it, love it! You did a wonderful job on this silk shawl. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete