Search This Blog

Friday, January 20, 2012

Graham Muffins





Last Sunday morning I wanted to whip up something warm and delicious for breakfast. I decided to make these Graham muffins as a lazy day treat for my fiancĂ© and myself. This recipe is from my wonderful 1933 cookbook. I did amend the recipe a bit… having made this once before I knew that they were a tad dry and bland even for me! I added an extra tablespoon of butter, for a total of 2 tablespoons (still very conservative) and added the 4 spices for a bit of flavor.








These Graham muffins really are delightful right out of the oven. They are meant to be eaten with jam or butter… I chose just a bit of pumpkin butter and my fiancĂ© topped his with honey. Accompanying coffee or tea they really do the trick! The graham flour adds a bit of heartiness and texture.








Original recipe... typed below with a few of my additions





Ingredients:

- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ¾ cup graham flour
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ginger

Directions: Sift flour once, measure, add salt, baking powder, spices, and sugar, and sift again. Add Graham flour. Combine egg, milk, and butter. Add to flour, beating only enough to dampen all flour. Bake in lined muffin pans at 425 deg F for 25 minutes.





Well it's Friday and I am certainly excited for the upcoming weekend. Unfortunately my fiance is on call from Friday morning until Saturday morning which means that I have the majority of the weekend to myself. It will be nice to catch up on some odds and ends around the apartment. I also have plans for reading, relaxing, and wedding planning. Looks like the weather is going to be snowy/icy/chilly so the thought of curling up with some knitting is certainly on my mind! Do you have any fun plans for the weekend?











3 comments:

  1. The graham muffins look inviting to try and I like the dishes you used in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. How can you not like muffins, when they're so delicate and sweet?
      How can you not like muffins, when they're so good to eat??

      Delete