Search This Blog

Friday, January 6, 2012

Flying Fish Restaurant: warning, picture heavy!




January 1, 2012: After arriving to Orlando and checking in at the Caribbean Resort, my family and I made our way to the Boardwalk area for some walking and a 7:30 Flying Fish reservation. The Boardwalk was still decorated elaborately for the holidays which helped us to extend the season even longer!


We made our way across to the Yacht club to see the chocolate carousel and miniature village. Before heading in for dinner we walked up to the entrance of EPCOT and gazed longingly at the lucky people enjoying the park.











We were seated at the Flying Fish and immediately hit by the atmosphere and delicious smells of the restaurant. None of us had even been here but I had heard great reviews from several people. Before we ordered they served us each a little starter of potato and leek soup. Yum.





I can’t remember the exact wine we ordered but it was in the syrah family and tasted velvety and warm. Just to be clear, I love to pair my wine and food but more often than not I just want good wine and good food and that’s enough for me. Yes I know that white wine “goes better” with seafood but I was craving a cozy glass of red.





The bread was freshly baked and tasted like a mild rye. The butter was served in attractive triangle slices and tasted very decadent with the bread that was slightly crusty on the outside but warm and soft on the inside.

My sister and I split an appetizer of Yellowfin Tuna Tartare and Crispy Tempura Tuna-Vegetable Sushi roll with Hijiki and Wakame Seaweed and Yuzu Tobiko. This was a wonderful mix of soft and crunchy textures with some great sauces.



For the main dish, we split the Oak-grilled Maine Diver Scallops with pumpkin, sage, pecorino romano, mascarpone-laced risotto di carnarolli. This was absolutely one of the best meals I have ever had the pleasure to eat. The scallops were buttery and melted in your mouth. The risotto was creamy and had just the right amount of cheese. And yes, the red wine tasted delicious with my meal!

To top the evening off, we walked over to Beaches and Cream for dessert. I had an ice cream cone and everyone else shared a banana split. What a fantastic way to end the night!


A group ordered the kitchen sink while we were there: eight scoops of ice cream served with all the toppings in the house and a whole can of whipped cream for $23.99!!





Kelly waiting for the banana split

I suppose the spirit of Disney soaked into our brains because my sister and I soon decided to forego our initial plans of “taking it easy” and instead to visit EPCOT the following day!

Before leaving the area we took a look through The Swan, a lovely hotel where we stayed during prior trips (our Aunt used to work there!). The Christmas tree was gigantic! They also decorated the palm trees surrounding the buildings.









On the walk home, everyone seemed to be on cloud 9. I stole this sweet photo of my parents:)



I couldn’t have asked for more from this perfect evening but this gift was waiting for us at the hotel. My dear friend Maggie was staying at Disney but had to leave before we arrived. She took the time to pull together this one-of-a-kind gift of sparkling Rosé and Mickey wine glasses! The packaging was in a beautiful velvety bag… I really should have taken a picture but was much too excited. Cheers to great friends, to family, and to a wonderful night!



3 comments:

  1. Disney pics are great! I especially liked the one of the flying fish and the Boardwalk with lights and xmas decor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, great capture of our time at the Boardwalk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree that you did a great job of capturiing the delightful time that we all had at Disney.

    ReplyDelete