Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Botanical Facial Treatment


It’s almost time for the holidays! If your schedule is anything like mine you have one more week of work to get through before the true celebrating can occur. Even though this is a short week for me, it seems like I’m struggling to get to the holiday finish line. How about a little DIY home-spa treatment to pamper and treat yourself? Not only is it a fun activity but it will be relaxing and help to give your skin a radiant glow for your friends and family this Christmas.
Using ingredients from your kitchen is cheap and easy. The combinations are endless and I’ve only just started experimenting with botanicals that I know are mild and helpful for dry skin. I will share one or two of my favorites with you but don’t forget that you should cater to your skin needs. My skin was getting very dry and flakey from the cold weather so I focused on moisturizing ingredients but there are also facial masks and exfoliants that are targeted for oily or acne prone skin.



Simple exfoliant: I have started using dried oatmeal as an exfoliating agent. By just adding a pinch (approx ¼ teaspoon) to your regular face wash, the oatmeal will gently exfoliate and moisturize. Your face will feel softer and smoother immediately. To apply, mix up in your hands and gently apply to face using slow circular motions then rinse off with luke warm water. I have been doing this maybe 2 to 3 times per week and it feels wonderful. People with oily skin would probably benefit from exfoliating more regularly and with a stronger exfoliant. I have read that crushed almond works wonderfully but to be careful with the jagged edges of the nuts.



Facial Mask: After spending money on product after product, trying new moisturizers, new foundations, new primers… everything… I was tired of buying new things that didn’t work but I needed something to help with my dry flaking skin around my T-zone. I thought I should at least try this all natural and FREE facial before buying anything else. I have to admit I was scared to try this… but I knew I had no allergies to any of the ingredients so I figured the worst thing that could happen would be a break out. Well after using ONCE I couldn’t believe the difference in made within minutes. Not only did it pretty much completely take care of my dry skin, it also had some wonderful effects that I was not expecting. The mask helped to reduce the redness around my nose and also to reduce or even eliminate some small blemishes around my T-zone! Who would have thought?!? Anyway, here is the recipe:
- ½ teaspoon Honey
- ¼ teaspoon Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dried oatmeal (I just used instant)
- 1 egg yolk



To apply: Before using the mask I washed my face using the oatmeal exfoliant, then pat face lightly with towel. Mix together the ingredients into a paste (mine was a bit wet) and apply to the face and neck. Leave on for 10-15 minutes…. It looks funny but smells great! Go ahead and throw two cold cucumber slices on your eyes and lay down while you’re waiting for the true spa experience. Then rinse off thoroughly with luke warm water. I followed by applying my regular moisturizer.




Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment