Search This Blog

Friday, July 22, 2011

Summer Inspirations

I just love this sunny season and wanted to share some of my summer time inspirations/goals!


Painting
I received a lovely water color set for Christmas this year and have only used it a few times. I would love to complete a few pieces in the upcoming months.





Fruit Smoothies
This is my staple to survive the hot summer weather. I usually have one every day in place of a meal. They are healthy, delicious, and cold!
If you're interested, here's the recipe (serves 1-2 depending on how much you want!)
- 2-3 large ice cubes
- 2/3 cup frozen berries
- 1 teaspoon almond butter (I like crunchy unsalted)
- 2 tablespoons yogurt of your choice (I like vanilla non-fat)
- 1/2 banana or 1 small banana
- about 1/2 -3/4 cup of milk (I like fat free)

Blend it up until smooth and enjoy!




Tropical/Tiki Clothing

Hawaiian inspired clothing really brings me back to my time living on Oahu (oh how I miss it). Personally, I think the perfect time to pull out your tropical prints is when the weather starts to get REALLY hot. Then, instead of being frustrated with the heat you can just enjoy it. Lay down on a lawn chair with a Mai Tai in your light and flowy aloha gear and read a good book!





MeTV (Memorable Entertainment Television):
Thanks to our lovely "digital converter box", we now get a few channels on our little tv. To my delight, I turned it on last week to find a new channel!! They play nothing but classic sitcoms, how fun is that?! Two of my favorites:

I grew up watching Mary Tyler Moore as "Laura" on The Dick Van Dyke show (on Nick at Night). I loved the early 1960s style so much, it was probably one of my first experiences with vintage fashion.

The Twilight Zone was another favorite of mine, I have always been a bit of a sci-fi nerd at heart (MST3k!!!) Also, it reminds me of the Tower of Terror at Disney World :)





Ballet
(Fonteyn and Nureyev in rehearsal)
I have always kept up with my dancing but have gotten a bit lazy about it the past two years. Recently, I've been trying my best to make it to 2 classes a week. It's been just wonderful getting back in shape again. Taking sporadic classes here and there is fun and a always good workout but I really felt that my strength and technique were going down hill. Now that I am making an effort to regularly get to class I can really feel a difference.



Straw Hats and Gingham
I adore the look of straw hats, it gives me the feeling of being seaside or at the beach. Gingham is a favorite of mine as well (though I can't seem to help myself and generally wear it all year). My absolute favorite dress is a cotton knee length button up with red and white gingham and whenever I put it on I want to host a picnic!





Peach Pie

Peach Pie.... Ginger peach pie to be specific. This is a request from Brent and I'm excited to try a new recipe. I've actually never really baked with peaches before - be sure to keep a look out for the finished product!

As for now, the agenda for this weekend includes helping my sister with the move up to Chicago.
For her last night in Cincinnati, we are dressing up and going down town to The Bistro. It should be a lot of fun and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment