Search This Blog

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Apple Pie

I made this pie a few weeks ago. This is my second attempt at an apple pie, the recipe is from my favorite, the Hummingbird Cook Book:


You will need 2 quantities of pie crust:
  • 4 cups all purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 15 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2-3 tablespoons of ice water
Mix together, roll into a ball and cover with saran wrap. Let chill in the fridge for at least an hour.

After chilling the crust, cut into two even balls and roll one out to the size of your pie pan. Once you have your bottom crust in place, you can add your pie filling:
  • 3 1/2 pounds green apples, peeled, cored, and cut into medium slices (I used Granny Smiths as directed by my cook book - they hold their shape and prevent the filling from becoming too sweet)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 stick of butter (yea I know... not the healthiest thing but... it's PIE!)
The most time consuming part of this recipe is definitely the peeling/coring/slicing of the apples. Put the butter and cinnamon in a large pot and stir until the butter has melted (this will smell amazing). Add apples and stir until well coated in butter. Finally, add the sugar and stir again.

The other challenging part is when to stop cooking the apples. You want them soft but not soggy. So I think the best way to test is to taste them every few minutes :)

Fill the bottom crust with the pie filling, then roll out and place your top crust. You will need to cut a few slits in the top to let the steam out. I also like to add a few cut outs (birds here) to make it pretty. Cover with an egg wash (1 egg mixed with a little milk).

Bake in preheated oven at 325 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until the pasty is golden brown.


Let cool and enjoy! This is my fiance's favorite, next time I would like to try a different variation, perhaps a dutch apple pie or a lattice top.

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. I am having a lazy Sunday and enjoying every minute!!

1 comment: