Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Gingerbread Men

I've been basking in the holiday spirit lately and I got the fun idea of making gingerbread men!

I used a recipe from my 1934 cookbook for "gingerbread" and about halfway through mixing the ingredients I got a bit confused. I couldn't help wondering how the things listed would make a cookie dough. Finally (and just in time) I realized it was, in fact, a recipe for ginger bread, not gingerbread cookies! With a bit of tweaking I managed to salvage the recipe and it turned out pretty well if I do say so myself.


Due to the surprisingly difficult task of finding a gingerbread man cookie cutter, I ended up purchasing a pre-mixed gingerbread cookie mix that came with a cutter. I whipped this up as well, just in case my home made mixture turned out terrible.




Here are the cut outs from the pre-made mix. All you had to do was cream the butter and add a whipped egg. Then chill for an hour and roll out. The dough was very easy to handle, roll, and cut.




Here are the cutouts from the home made batch. I went a little overboard with the molasses... the dough was VERY sticky and I had to use a lot of flour to roll it out. You can see how much darker they are than the other batch.





Here are the little guys - yummy! I sprinkled some coarse sugar on top of some.







I really liked both batches. The pre-mix was much sweeter, it tasted like a mixture between sugar cookie and gingerbread cookie. The home made batch had a bit of a spice kick to it.







These little cookies were great to give as gifts, they wrap up very nicely.







A day or two after baking, they are a little crunchy and taste wonderful with coffee or tea.

These were so much fun, I'd like to do it over again and maybe make some sugar cookies as well. What are you doing to celebrate the holidays?









2 comments:

  1. Yum! They look delicious. I am going to make gingerbread cupcakes to take to my aunties for Christmas day. I was going to try and make mini gingerbread men to top them with but I need to find a cutter. Not sure how that will go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh that would be so adorable!! A mini cookie cutter would be hard to find but I'm sure you could get something from the web. Please post pictures, it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete