Search This Blog

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Poncho turned shawl

I found a lovely pattern in Viva Poncho for my sister's birthday. I decided to splurge and get the recommended yarn (50% silk, 50% merino; 230 meters from Tess Designer Yarns)

I was very happy with the quick service, she actually dyed the yarn that day because she was out of the color I wanted and it arrived a few days later. The quality was fantastic, such a silky, sheen yarn. Of course, like most fancy yarns, it was still in the twisted skein form so before I even began my knitting journey, I had to turn this:


Into this:

I ended up jusing the back of two chairs (Pierre was supervising) and rolling over my thumb. It was actually easier than I thought but a bit time consuming.

Basically, the poncho just requires 2 large panels of this lovely leaf pattern. When completed, you sew the panels to opposite sides of each other and you have yourself a poncho. However, I was knitting away and realized that I am almost half way through my supply of yarn but nowhere close to half way finished with the pattern.

After re-checking my gauge and the instructions, I was a bit baffled. I end up calling Tess Designer Yarns and the same sweet lady was able to solve my mystery. "Oh you're not knitting the Viva Poncho pattern?" she asks me. Apparently they made a mistake in the pattern! They had the wrong kind of yarn listed.... uughhh. My only choices were to spend a huge amount of money on 2 more skeins of yarn or just improvise.

I decided to just keep on knitting and make one large panel with all of the yarn and transform it into a shawl. Well... I definitely would have changed some things if I'd have known from the beginning that this was going to be a shawl but that being said, it turned out quite nice.




It looks so pretty on my sister! (That's Stasha - my future sister-in-law/bridesmaid)

No comments:

Post a Comment