Search This Blog

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Pumpkin Pie

Nothin' says autumn like pumpkin pie!

I am flying out ot New Mexico to visit my parents for Thanksgiving this year and I get to make the pie! That being said, I really want it to be delicious so I've been trying out different recipes until I get it just right...


Here is my favorite so far, this is my variation on the Hummingbird Cookbook recipe:
To make the crust:
  • 7 tablespoons of unsalted butter
  • 2 cups of flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Tip for measuring flour: Always sift flour BEFORE you measure!
Make sure the butter is room temperature. Put flour, butter, and salt in mixer and beat on slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined. Add one tablespoon ice water and beat until well mixed. Add a second tablespoon of ice water and beat until you have a smooth, even dough. If the dough is still a little dry, add another tablespoon of ice water but BE CAREFUL NOT TO ADD TOO MUCH WATER!
Wrap dough in plastic wrap and let rest for one hour in the refrigerator.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
Lightly dust a clean work surface with flour and roll out the dough with a rolling pin. Line the prepared pie dish with the dough and fold the edges in, shaping with your fingers.
Lay a sheet of parchment paper over the dough crust and pour in the baking beans (I use plain old lima beans... you can reuse over and over again).
Dry ingredients/spices:
  • 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon of sugar (this seemed to be the right amount of sweetness)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 tablespoon flour
Always sift all dry ingredient together at least once, especially when the recipe is centered around spices.

Combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients:
  • 1 egg
  • 14-oz can pumpkin puree
  • 8-oz can evaporated milk
Mix together until just blender, you don't want to over mix.
My thoughts on using a real pumpkin: I did make one pie with a real pie pumpkin and although it was very delicious, it was also very labor intensive. You have to carve open the pumpin and scoop out all seeds. Then bake the pumpkin pieces for about an hour, scrape out the insides, let cool, then puree. This makes A LOT of dirty dishes, takes a long time, and honestly doesn't taste any different than pumpkin puree from a can. I actually think the canned puree made a smoother, prettier pie. But, if you're looking for a more rustic pie, you may want to try the roasted pumpkin, you could lightly puree to enjoy little pumpkin chunks in every bite!



Cook for about 30-40 minutes at 325 degrees or until the filling is set firm and doesn't wobble when shaken.
Let cool completely (if you can), then serve with a dollop of whipped cream, garnish with cinnamon.
Other ideas for pumpkin pie that I'd like to try include pecan pumpkin pie and apple pumpkin pie.
What are you baking up or enjoying for autumn??

1 comment:

  1. I have only had pumpkin pie once and it was delicious! I need to give it a go myself one day. Not sure if you can buy canned pumpkin here in Australia though.

    ReplyDelete