Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Knitted Dog Sweater

A few times a year, I have to get my poodle groomed and this is what happens:



(Before grooming)
(After grooming)


He looks like a different dog! Well since the weather is starting to get chilly, I thought that I would try out a knitted sweater for him that would take the place of his missing coat of fur.
I got the pattern from here: Dog Sweater Pattern


This is my first dog sweater and I was surprised by how easy and quickly it was completed. The nice thing about this pattern is that you knit it all in the round as one big peice and then knit on the sleeves so there is no sewing pieces together.



I stuck with the same colors as the pattern but there are so many wonderful combinations! This finally gave me an excuse to use up some old yarn scraps that wouldn't be enough to complete a larger project.



The collar and sleeves were done using double pointed needles (I finally bit the bullet and learned how to use them). Pierre is modeling the finished project.


I tried a size medium but a small would have fit a bit better. However, when his fur grows back in a few months he will still be able to fit into this cozy sweater. Doesn't he look ready for the chilly months ahead??
For future patterns, I have found that the neck and sleeves of this pattern fit him perfectly but the lower body could be just a bit smaller. Also, I may try to modify the patter so that there is a shorter panel under his belly so that he can (ahem) "go potty" without having to pull the sweater up.




3 comments:

  1. That is so cute! I tried to knit my dog a sweater but it was knit flat then had button holes and because it was the same size the whole way along with no shaping it fit around her stomach but at her neck it was loose. I am going to move the buttons over so its tighter. I might try this pattern out for her next though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes you should try the pattern - certainly send me pics if you make one!! What kind of dog do you have??

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I said after my first knitted dog sweater. It's so easy and fun to make them, and now after almost 2 years from my first knitted sweater I can say this became a hobby for me.

    ReplyDelete