Search This Blog

Thursday, September 9, 2010

California Road Trip Day 8: San Francisco (then home...)

This was the last day of our trip. Brent and I booked a late flight so we still had the majority of the day to explore the town.

We started out on a double decker tour bus. It was cold so I bundled up in all of my warm clothes and we set out...



















We stopped briefly for a closer look at the Golden Gate bridge then had a slight detour when the tour bus backed into a van on the way out. He left a note....









So this is the way the tour bus worked: It took you around town and stopped at the BEGINNING of everything to let you off if you so desire. What's the problem with this layout? Well if you're on a tourbus in the first place you probably have no idea where/what things are so by the time you realize you would be interested in checking something out further it's too late.

Case in point: Haight Ashbury.

The tour guide just described it as a "hippie town" so naturally I was repulsed and didn't think twice about stopping. Then we started driving and I noticed a lovely little vintage shop. Hmm... then another. Then another... and then yet another. And when the bus finally drove by the Bettie Page clothing store (of which I've done LOTS Of online shopping) I made Brent get off at the next stop and take a cab back to Haight Ashbury with me.




Poor Brent. I was lost in clothing heaven and he was bored out of his mind.


So back to the vintage shopping. It was so fantastic, I was absolutely overwhelmed. Bags, shoes, dresses, skirts, hats, books - AHHH!!! I couldn't even think straight. Between Brent convincing me that I didn't have any more room in my suitcase for another pair of shoes and me being on sensory overload, I walked away empty handed!! Can you believe it?! But Brent found a handsome corduroy sport coat at least. So if any vintage lovers find their way out to San Fran, bring an empty suitcase:) It was all such good condition and reasonable prices too. While the majority of stores did focus on late 60s and 70s, there was always a good amount of 40s-early 60s which are my favorite eras. There was also a few stores that only had merch from this period including one that sold Remix Vintage Reproduction Shoes. I couldn't believe it. These shoes are really well known for being extremely authentic and very well made (and made to order in YOUR size). I had only seen them online or in pictures before as they are way out of my price range. Up close and personal you could tell they were very high quality.


Amoebo music (still in Haight Ashbury)



We finally got back on the tourbus:

Everywhere you look (everywhere)
There's a heart (there's a heart)
A hand to hold on to.
Everywhere you look (everywhere)
There's a face of somebody who needs you



We made a stop in Chinatown:

We were amused by Little Paris, a "french cafe" run by Chinese, in San Francisco.
Also, I'm just noticing this now but there's a man wearing a beret in the picture, naturally.



Then we hopped a trolley


I think Brent left his heart in San Francisco... no really, he fell in love with it.




After that Brent and I set out to find some wine tastings to get us nice and sleepy for our red-eye flight back to cincinnati. We only had time for two. Although they were WAY more expensive than what I'm used to ($10 and $15), I'm glad we got to see a bit more of the town.






Travel Tips:
Double decker tour bus + wind + mist = bad hair day. I really wish I would have brought a scarf on the bus with me, it would have made my life much easier. Although I got my hair to somewhat stay in place with a lot of hairspray and bobby pins, the wind was pretty brutal and a scarf would have helped.



No comments:

Post a Comment