Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

California Road Trip Day 6: Carmel by the Sea and San Jose


On Day 6 we took a short drive from our hotel in Monterey to Carmel by the Sea. Although it's hard not to love quaint little villages, this one was just a bit extreme.  This town was alarmingly charming. They had no stop lights, only stop signs. I guess stop lights aren't quaint? This setup might work for the town on a regular basis, but it was complete driving chaos while we were there. We managed to be in town for the Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance, an incredibly famous vintage car show. My father of course was thrilled about this and we fought our way through the traffic madness and finally found a spot to park.


The Streets were packed with people and there were about 150 cars in the show. That's not even taking into account all of the vintage car enthusiasts that were not registered in the show but drove their restored beauties down to see everything.
I was stuck behind that guy in a bandana for a while and I'm pretty sure he knew everything about every car, or at least it sounded like he did.

The cars ranged from a 1902 Mercedes Simples to a 1967 Ferrari. Most of the cars I saw were from the 30s and 40s.



I am pretty sure this was the only car that was not restored. Everything was left from the original work, pretty impressive.



This is what a 30 million dollar car looks like. Soak it in for a second. It's a Bugatti, but I am unsure of the year, from the 30s maybe? I thought about purchasing it but I already have one in tan at home and really, it's just so passe to own 2 Bugatti's.


This Cadillac wasn't even part of the show, it's just sitting in a parking lot. I think our rental HHR was getting jealous at this point.




We got some lunch at The Hog's Breath Inn, an English style pub. Apparently Clint Eastwood, who was the mayor of Carmel at one point (naturally) helped to establish this bar/restaurant.




I think my father is still basking in the glory of the Tour d'Elegance.










There was a mural of theEnglish countryside, another quaint touch to Carmel by the Sea.





Next we drove to San Jose and dropped my parents off at the hotel. Brent and I met up with my buddy Garrett that I know from my years in Hawaii. We got to meet some of his friends over margaritas and enchiladas. So good seeing him again!



We went to a bar afterward and I ran into Erin (next to me in the gray hat) that I also knew in Hawaii. This was pretty amazing as I don't exactly run into my HI friends in Cincinnati very often!


So good to see Garrett! It was a late night but we knew that we had to get up early for the drive to San Francisco in the morning!



Travel Tips:


The shopping and atmosphere in Carmel was very posh and sophisticated. It is also a very dog-friendly town. I had at least 3 conversations with store owners or just passersby about their accompanying dogs (and then consequently breaking out my camera and showing pics of my little pooch).

No comments:

Post a Comment