Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

coffee cakes and quiche

[Nothing like getting to enjoy the morning for once!]

Brent's parents brought down a bunch of fresh veggies from their garden and we have been trying to use them in everything. This quiche contained korabi, butternut squash, and onions - all from the garden!


Instead of using my regular pie crust recipe, I found a french quiche crust recipe and it seems to work quite well. It requires you to add an egg at one point and a little bit of sour cream.

It turned out well! I would like to start experimenting more with quiche - they're so much fun to make and delicious to eat.



I also made a traditional coffee cake for the weekend so that we could have something to snack on. I love the way this turned out! The cinnamon, sugar, and flour on the top really made it scrumptious.



Aerial view

I find that for cakes/breads with a lot of spices that it's best to sift the ingredients about 3 times to make sure everything is evenly distributed (most recipes say to just sift together once).




This is the cook book that really taught me how to bake. It was published in 1934 and teaches you to do everything by hand (ex: "cream butter thoroughly"). I really enjoy the recipes because they are surprisingly healthy compared to today's recipes. I mean this both in quantity of ingredients and also in portion size. Generally the recipes call for much less butter and sugar and the actual portion is smaller as well. A lot of the recipes might not be for everyone's modern tastes. One example are the graham muffins, they are somewhat dense and hard and are meant to be served with jam or butter and some people might not care for them nowadays. I love these now but it did take me a bit to get used to the idea.


Here is the layout featuring the "Quick Coffee Cake" recipe I used above.
















1 comment:

  1. Lindsay, I really like quiche. Hope you can make one for me sometime. Coffee cakes are on my favorites list as well.

    Nice touch to use as fresh of vegetables as possible.

    Using an old cookbook is a very interesting idea, and it is surprising that some of the recipes are healthy compared to today's.

    ReplyDelete